Friday

Awakening Yourself through Conscious 180 Degree Turns

Years ago I was addicted to positive thinking.  I had found a book on stating affirmations, and I ran with it.  For almost three years non-stop I did my darnedest to hold onto positive thoughts.

"I am at peace,” I declared despairingly.  “I'm rich," I repeated hungrily.  “Romance is manifesting," I insisted longingly.  

Nothing much changed.  While taking a walk in a park one day, I said to myself “To hell with it!  It’s time for a 180!"  I stopped in my tracks, took a deep breath, and decided to give negative thinking a try.  I dug around in my head for the most godforsaken, pessimistic thoughts I could find.  I began very deliberately and consciously: “Everyday in every way I am getting worse and worse," "I am poor and getting poorer," “I am worthless and afraid." 

Instantly, I laughed a big cosmic laugh.  Within minutes, this spiritually rebellious act catapulted me completely out of despair.  In fact, it sparked a whole new course in my life which, over time, brought with it a lasting larger perspective on the utter rightness of everything inside me.  It fostered a much quieter mind, a deeper sense of self, and an intuitive feeling inside that I am not just my mind.  I am the Self that surrounds and experiences my mind.

Sometimes we have to go from one extreme to another to find the Center of our Self.

A zen teaching:
A student asked Soen Nakagawa during a meditation retreat: "I am very discouraged. What should I do?"
Soen replied, "Encourage others."

Some 180 degree turns to consider:

If taking lots of action is not helping...  trying slowing down for a while..

If trying to make money is not working so well... try giving some away..

If talking a lot in conversations is not fostering deep connection.... try asking questions and listening more closely...

If seeking approval is not happening... ...try giving approval instead.

What 180 degree turn are you ready to explore?

11 comments:

  1. Michael, I enjoyed reading this as I found the same!! I was introduced to "The Secret" along with the rest of the world and soon discovered that it worked...but for only a short time. I have learned in my life that I NEED the balance of positive AND negative!! Being only positive does not work for me. I cannot say why, only that it doesn't. I don't need to know why, I just need to know it doesn't so I can work with it to prompt improvement in my life! And it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michael, for this truly helpful, funny post. I agree that we have to be able to contain all of human experience, and be able to laugh at our dark sides and accept them as equally necessary as the light. This is what it is to be human after all.
    Hugs, Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michael!! As for why 'being only positive' doesn't work-- it's manipulation. We can't decide what is going to come up. As soon as we do, we are creating 'failure'. What comes will come, the authentic acceptance of the experience is what brings lightness and joy :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 PM

    My heartfelt thanks for this humorously told story. You are inspiring. Keep writing! Larry (FB friend of Karyn)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true, concentrating on just one doesn't work. You need to accept both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Michael, I should have mentioned on my previous comment. I am really looking forward to seeing this blog take shape and move on forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great comments everyone. I feel inspired and grateful to be sharing this Journey with such wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Michael. I've found the 180 approach to be quite helpful as well. We live in a world of duality and to recognize the wild swings we experience in that world is quite amusing; it pulls us back to our center where Everything is. Buddha said "When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grand, I had a good laugh with you, brother! Hahahahaha! Negative affirmations, I will give it a try when I am down next time:)
    What works for me when I am spiritually frustrated: "F*ck off, God!" :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I am worthless and afraid" this is primed and ready for your first comedic spiritual book, perhaps, "Kvetch-firmations, for Jews and News alike!"

    I'll read it, with peels of laughter and recognition!

    Funny reading this, Michael! As both a human being, who relates, and as a hypnotherapist, trying not to take it too seriously, cause it's funny!

    Affirmations are funny things.

    I am trained in many ways. I have steeped in many expansive schools of tools, and admit, some new age tools are too ridiculous to participate in, with a straight face.

    Once I found a new age healer, Doctor, back in the Bay Area, who assigned me home & session-work: to "make the face of joy, hurt, & rage." Needless to say, this didn't work for me.

    Affirmations have their place, and even help bring transformation, yet I mostly only use ones that naturally flow from the explorer, directly.

    Keep cooking up the yummy soul food, for thought, & congrats on your new blog!

    mine's @jenuineindigo1.blogspot.com

    hugs old friend,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:54 AM

    I absolutely loved the article, specially the last few lines Michael :)

    ReplyDelete